The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Are we ready for some football?

Well, Jojo's squad is in the thick of cheerleading season.  I say "cheerleading season" this year because Bo has decided not to play football this year.  I must admit that I miss seeing him all padded up and headed out on the field.  I understand his reasons, i.e., he's on the small side for his age, has fallen in love with LAX and wants to play as much of that as he can to try to earn a spot on the varsity team this spring, etc., etc.  But, where my head understands, my heart still feels a little out of sorts. 

It's not that I don't enjoy watching Jojo cheer.  She's a tiny little thing (frankly, she turned out to be everything I would have picked off the "Make a Girl Baby" menu!), so she is one of the flyers on the team.  That means she's front and center, and often about 10 feet in the air!  She's good at it and really does like the whole thing: sport, comraderie, attention and admiration. (chuckle)  She's a ham and a half!  They are getting ready for their first competition in a few weeks, and the sideline cheering has been fun.

Which brings me back to those dang sidelines.  So...I've been trying to enjoy watching the sons of other moms and dads out on the grid iron.  Naturally, when the girls go into one of their cheers, I join in, shaking my "air pom-poms" and adding my own "woo hoos!"  (Probably, much to the horror of my daughter.)  In fact, I ran into a work friend on the sidelines at the latest game and found out that his son plays for same team that has Jojo's cheer squad!  And now that I know that I have my own surrogate-Bo to root for from the stands, and my darling little girl on the sidelines, I can say: "Yes, I'm ready for some football!

No comments:

Post a Comment