The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Too busy for DWA...walking trail!

Jojo's cheerleading season started last week and, in August, it's 4 nights/wk.  This is reduced to 3 nights when school starts at the end of the month, but those night include Monday and Wednesday -- DWA nights.  Yes, I'll say it:  I miss the pool.  But Jojo is a flyer, which means she spends the majority of the practices in the air, standing on the hands of other 9 and 10 year old girls, which makes me nervous about leaving the field.  Heck, it makes me nervous about blinking my eyes, let alone leaving the field.

It's been one week, and I am feeling very slothful.  I even made it to a DWA session last week, and I still feel lazy.  It's probably in my head, but I'm also feeling shorter of breath than the week before last and could swear that I've gained a few pounds back.  Could all the progress that I made be caput in one week?  Is the universe really THAT unfair?

I think I found a solution today, however.  While chewing my nails as my little girl flew through the air with the greatest of ease, I noticed that there is a walking trail that circles the park where the practices are being held.  I asked one of the other Cheer Moms if she knew if the practice field was visible while walking the trail.  She wasn't sure, but suggested that we take a "test run" while the girls were doing calisthenics and drills. 

Great news!  We were able to see the girls the whole time we walked the trail.  It was nice to get to know her better, too, since Jojo is new to this team so I really don't know a lot of the moms.  When we got back, one of the other moms said that she used to walk the trail during practices last season and asked if we would like to start doing that with her on Mondays and Wednesdays.  I guess these are my designated exercise days!  I'm not sure how long the trail is, but if we do a few circuits it's better than nothing.

So, I'm trading bathing suits for sneakers and hitting the trail.  It's not mall walking, but the Old Guard in the pool would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment