The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lefts and Rights...

Did you ever have one of those days that starts out bad and just gets worse?  I woke up with a completely "dead" right arm after sleeping awkwardly -- no pins and needles, there was nothing.  Then, when I stepped out of bed to get some aspirin and turn on the shower (with the hand on my functional arm), I stepped on the cat and, to avoid killing her, threw myself backward but missed the bed, and landed on my butt on the floor.  Good thing I'm so padded!  I get up off the floor and drag myself to the shower.  While in the shower, I dropped the razor, and when I bent down to pick it up, banged my head on the handle.  OMG! 

After all of the various self-inflicted wounds, I told my daughter to get dressed so we could go out school clothes shopping.  She was thrilled, and that made my bruises not so sore, so I thought the day was on the upswing.  We spent a long time picking out several cute outfits at that store with the talking manequins and I was excited to check out with my bonus savings as a card holder.  Not so fast!  As I was trying to use the charge card and bonus savings certificate, the check-out girl told me that the card was denied.  What?  I have made a habit of using this card and paying it off by electronic bank payment so often that, several time, they have sent me back a check because I had paid more than was due.  Figuring that the card was demagnetized or something, I put the bonus savings certi back in my purse to use with one of the other kids and decided to call Customer Service on the way home.  In the car = mistake! 

Well, the customer service department has been outsourced to a call center in India and I had a terrible time trying to understand the poor guy on the other end of a shakey cellphone connection.  When I called back after I got home, the news just got worse.  Apparently the electronic payment that my bank sends out monthly did not go out in July!  So I'm now a month behind and had to bring the account current using my debit card.  Yike!  Obviously, my next call was to my bank.  Apparently there was a change in their authomatic payment procedure and a letter went out with instructions for setting up the new electronic payments going forward.  Did I get the letter?  To be honest, I probably did.  Did I read the letter?  Come on!  Do I have to answer this question?  Luckily, the rest of the payments went out before the change in procedure, so I didn't miss ALL of my July payments.

Feeling like a heel, it's time to take Jojo to a taekwon do party with the other girls at the dojang.  Well, that's gotta be fun, right?  Cellphone bomb from the ex puts a hold on my entering the dojang as I send Jojo in ahead of me in order to shield her from the salvo I'm preparing to launch.  After Round Seven -Kajillion in the never-ending battle for timely child support payments, I enter the dojang to find a note on Jojo's attendance card stating that tuition is due.  I couldn't help it.  I began to laugh hysterically and had to walk back out and gather my wits just prior to having a total meltdown right in front of my mortified daughter and all of her TKD friends. 

I had to drive her home, so I couldn't "head for the mountains," but I've always been told that exercise helps one clear one's head, so I headed for the walking trail closeby the dojang, rather than the corner bar.  Hey, sweating to the Selena Gomez tunes that were on Lilo's MP3 player in the backseat, worked!  I felt much calmer (and closer to sane) when I went back to pick Jojo up.  Judging by the looks that I got from several of the other moms, dads, and dojang denizens, however, the power-walk with Selena didn't do much for my outward appearance.  "I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me...."  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment