The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Friday, June 24, 2011

Braving the great outdoors

6/24/2011  We FINALLY try out the new and improved Community Pool.

It was a long, hot summer in 2010 when our local Community Pool was shut down for renovations!  My kids are total water rats.  We would go right after lunch, upon entering the pool area, they would all fan out, and I would have to drag their blue-lipped and pruned up bodies out of there to go home and fix dinner.  So...the announcement that the Pool was going to be closed for renovations was upsetting -- it became more so while suffering through one of the hottest summers on record.

Well, the renovations are finished, better late than never, and we renewed our membership.  I work during the week, but not on Fridays so, as you can imagine, the kids began the "Pool, pool, pool, pool" chant pretty much upon waking.  I was able to put them off until we had lunch; after that, with these Creatures of Habit, all bets were off.  So, despite the gathering dark clouds, we geared up and headed over.

Kid Nirvana!  New water slides, a Splash Zone, diving board, and Snack Shack offering all those "gotta-have-it" poolside faves, like sno-cones, popcorn and soft pretzels.  Remember:  we go after eating lunch -- where do these kids put it?  After clearing the gate, they each head in a different direction and I stake our claim to a corner of grass for our towels.  I think one week of DWA embarassment has given me some confidence because it only took me 15 minutes to remove my cover up and another 10 to get in the pool. 

As all parents know, getting in the pool stimulates some spider-sense in kids because they appeared around me almost instantly with squeels of "Watch this!", "Catch me!", and my son's personal favorite, "Cannonball!"  It was all fun and games until the rain began to fall.  As we ran for the towels and quickly headed for the gates my daugher Jojo tugged on my cover-up, pointed and said, "Hey, what's that one?" 

Gasp!  The adults-only lap pool...

No comments:

Post a Comment