The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence (from fat) Day!

7/3-4/2011

7/3/2011 - We're on vacation on the shores of Lake Ontario, right next to a fantastic NY state park with a hiking trail to die for!  I took the kids to the beach last evening (mostly to give my hubby a break) and couldn't resist the waves.  Yeah, the water was a little chilly, but it's a natural lake so it's to be expected.  The kids were having a great time in the shallow part (with life guard) and I decided to go a bit further out and swim for a little while.  It was awesome!  I managed to swim along the shoreline for about 15 mins.  Then, of course, the kids started screaming, splashing each other and otherwise acting like maniacs, so my "me time" was effectively over.

7/4/2011 - I plan to make great use of the park today, first with a hike and then on the beach.  The hiking trail is 1.5 miles around and goes through open areas as well as the wooded areas.  The scenery while walking is remarkable!  I never realized how close Toronoto is to Lake Ontario, but we could actually see the city skyline from the walking trail.  This, of course, is additionally thrilling to my girls who are complete Justin Bieber fanatics and that is, apparently, his hometown.  LOL!  After hiking the trail, the plan is to head back to the beach.  More watery bliss!  The kids seem to be able to get along for a longer period of time while frolicking, which will give Chuck and I some time to converse on the sand.  Then, I'll head out to do the shoreline swim again.  I'll take the bow and feel good about myself for getting the exercise in while on vacation.

Tonight, I'll try to resist the hotdogs and mac salad for lighter picnic fare...and enjoy the fireworks.  Happy Birthday USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment