The ruminations of an almost-46 year old, overweight wife and mom.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...what the hell happened?

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Major Suck

Pardon my crass title, but it's the only thing I could come up with that accurately reflects how I feel tonight.  True confession time, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 11 years ago.  It's, thankfully, the relapsing-remitting type of MS which means that most of the time, nobody would ever know that I have the disease.  There are those times, however, that it rears it's ugly head and today is one of them. 

In fact, I had some muscle spasms and started to feel the fatigue part of MS a few days ago, but the eliptical debacle could be blamed for the muscle cramps and who isn't fatigued?  When I'm having an episode, I experience problems with my gait, double-vision, delibitating fatigue, muscle spasms, all-over joint pain and some speech issues.  Voila!  Today I woke up with all of the above.  Fun, huh?  So, as you've probably figured out by now, DWA did not happen tonight.

Actually, I intended to go anyway.  I have always read that exercise is good for muscle spasms, joint pain, etc.  But the dang fatigue after a day of work did not abate after taking a power-nap, and as the clock kept ticking toward DWA-hour, I was less and less enthusiastic about dragging myself upstairs (gait and joint pain), changing, dragging myself downstairs, driving to the Y (double-vision), walking from the parking lot to the locker room, putting my stuff in the locker (muscle spasms), walking to the pool, getting in the water and actually doing the moves.  I think you get my drift.

I'm disappointed in myself.  I'm annoyed that I have this blasted disease.  I'm sick of the incredible heatwave that most of the U.S. is experiencing -- always contributes as a trigger.  I'm seething at my ex-husband who has been a total buster lately and added to my daily stress (another trigger).  And, just as much as those emotions, I'm embarrassed that I have slipped on my resolution to participate in this class every Monday and Wednesday over the summer. 

So, now you see why the title of this entry is so fitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment